What is Periodontics?
Periodontics is a specialty of dentistry which encompasses the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases of the supporting and surrounding tissues of the teeth or their substitutes and the maintenance of the health, function and esthetics of these structures and tissues.
What is a Diplomate?
A Diplomate is a periodontist who has successfully completed a rigorous examination process after his postgraduate periodontal studies and is certified by the American Board of Periodontology.
What Does it mean to be a Diplomate?
Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology is a periodontist who has made significant achievements beyond the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty.
To be educationally qualified for board certification requires:
- Completion of a dental degree
- The candidate must then successfully complete an additional 3 or more years in an advanced educational program in periodontology which is accredited by the commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. The period of study concentrates on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of periodontal disease, regeneration of supporting tissues of the teeth, dental implants and their substitutes and maintenance of health, function and esthetics.
In addition to the basic educational requirements, Board certification requires:
- Comprehensive oral and written examinations covering all phases of periodontal disease and its treatment, including dental implants.
- Recertification of continued competency in periodontics through continuing education and additional examinations.
What does it mean to you as a patient?
Dr. Hector Sarmiento has been examined voluntarily by the panel of internationally respected peers and awarded Diplomate status.
Dr. Sarmiento has received one of the highest recognitions of achievement afforded by the specialty.
By completing the examination process, Dr. Sarmiento has demonstrated motivation for:
- Continued professional development
- Critical review of results and therapy
- Interest in providing the best, most up-to-date periodontal care possible
What is the American Board of Periodontology?
The American Board of Periodontology was founded in 1939 to elevate the standards and advance the science and art of periodontology. It is officially the oldest ADA recognized specialty board and is the only national certifying board in the dental specialty of periodontics.
For more information regarding the Board certification process contact:
The American Board of Periodontology